Year 4 - Elm 2018 - 2019
Welcome to Elm Class!
Class Teacher: Mrs White
Teaching Assistant: Mrs C Watson
Hello and welcome to Elm class.
In our class Mrs White, Miss Edge (Associate Teacher) and Mrs Watson will be teaching us. Mr Clayton will be working with us every Friday.
Together we will be further developing the skills of:
Making connections, Finding answers & Independence
while ensuring that we work as a TEAM in achieving our aims.
Feet on the ground
We continue our exciting STEAM work this term by planting our feet on the ground. Our focus will be on rainforests and we will explore where the world's rainforests can be found and how they are a habitat to many animals and birds. We will then move on to consider the issue of deforestation and the impact this has on our climate and animals before looking in more detail at how palm oil production affects orangutans.
Swimming will begin this term - starting on Friday 26th April. We will be leaving straight after registration and before 9am so please ensure your child is ready to enter school when the doors open at 8.40am. Thank You!
We will also be going on our residential to Plas Nantglyn from 15 - 17th May. Mrs White will be running an information session after school on Wednesday 17th April to go through the itinerary, provide a kit list and to answer any questions.
As mathematicians we are learning to…
- Recognise and write decimal equivalents of any number of tenths or hundredths.
- Recognise and write decimal equivalents to ¼ , ½ and ¾
- Solve simple measure and money problems involving fractions and decimals to two decimal places
- Read, write and convert time between analogue and digital 12and 24-hour clocks.
- Solve problems involving converting from hours to minutes; minutes to seconds; years to months; weeks to days.
- Interpret and present discrete and continuous data using appropriate graphical methods, including bar charts and time graphs.
- Identify acute and obtuse angles and compare and order angles up to two right angles by size.
- Compare and classify geometric shapes based on their properties and sizes.
- Identify lines of symmetry in 2-D shapes presented in different orientations.
- Describe positions on a 2-D grid as coordinates in the first quadrant.
As writers we are learning to…
- Write discussion texts to present two opposing arguments on palm oil
- Write an explanation text to outline some of the major threats facing tropical rainforest plants and animals
- Write instructions for how to make pal oil free soap
- Write an recount of our residential trip to Plas Nantglyn
- Use nouns or pronouns effectively for clarity and cohesion and to avoid repetition.
- Use conjunctions, prepositions and adverbs to express time and cause
- Spell further homophones
***Don’t forget to check Twitter @KelsallSchool to see what we are getting up to!***
Files to Download
Year 4 - Elm: News items
There are no News items to display
Year 4 - Elm: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 4 - Elm: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Year 4 - Elm: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display