Year 4 - Elm 2018 - 2019
Welcome to Elm Class!
Class Teacher: Mrs White
Teaching Assistant: Mrs C Watson
Hello and welcome to Elm class.
In our class Mrs White and Mrs Watson will be teaching us. Mr Clayton will be working with us every Friday.
Together we will be further developing the skills of:
Making connections, Finding answers & Independence
while ensuring that we work as a TEAM in achieving our aims.
To The Bottom Of The Ocean
We continue our exciting STEAM work this term by delving into the ocean! We will be exploring the problem of plastic pollution and the impact it has on marine life before considering what we can do to make a change. We will even invent machines and devices that could help clear the ocean of plastic.
As mathematicians we are learning to…
- Measure and calculate the perimeter of a rectilinear figure
- Recall and use multiplication and division facts for multiplication tables up to 12 × 12
- Recognise and use factor pairs and commutativity in mental calculations.
- Multiply two digit and three-digit numbers by a one-digit number using formal written layout.
- Find the area of rectilinear shapes by counting squares.
- Recognise and show, using diagrams, families of common equivalent fractions.
- Count up and down in hundredths
- Solve problems involving increasingly harder fractions to calculate quantities,
- Add and subtract fractions with the same denominator.
As writers we are learning to…
- Write an ocean-based story influenced by David Wiesner’s Flotsam.
- Engage and hold the reader’s attention when writing a story.
- Develop settings using a multisensory approach
- Develop our persuasive writing techniques
- Write a persuasive text on reducing plastic use.
- Choose nouns and pronouns for clarity and cohesion and to avoid repetition.
- Use conjunctions, adverbs and prepositions to express time and cause.
- Use correctly punctuated fronted adverbials
***Don’t forget to check Twitter @KelsallSchool to see what we are getting up to!***
Files to Download
Year 4 - Elm: News items
There are no News items to display
Year 4 - Elm: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 4 - Elm: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Year 4 - Elm: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display